HYSA is always looking for new referees. Referees are vital to making the game of soccer enjoyable and fair for everyone. Becoming a referee is a rewarding and fun experience, and it’s a great way for teenagers and adults to earn some extra money!
Referees work a flexible schedule on Saturdays during the soccer season. They may serve as head referees or assistant referees for Grade 3/4, Grade 5/6, or Grade 7/8 games.
Depending on the grade level and type of referee position they fill, HYSA referees can expect to earn $40 to $100 per game. The more games you work, the more money you can earn!
HYSA will also reimburse you for many of the costs of becoming a referee or recertifying as a returning referee, provided you referee at least two games in the upcoming season.
How to Become a Referee
To become a referee, you must be at least 14 years old, take referee classes, and get certified.
For all new referees (14+ years old)
- New uniform kit and a wrist stopwatch. HYSA will reimburse you for the cost up to $80!*
- Online study modules, taken before class. (FREE)
- 2-hour online OR in-person live class, followed by an online test. HYSA will reimburse you the $115 cost!*
- 1 in-person field session. Referee a small-sided game to use your new skills! (FREE)
- Online Intro to Safety course. (FREE)
18+ years old, all of the above PLUS:
- Background check. HYSA will reimburse you the $30 cost!*
- Online SafeSport Training course. (FREE)
For returning referees (those who refereed in previous seasons)
- Recertification class is required each year (HYSA will reimburse you for the cost!)
Get Started Today!
Don’t delay getting certified for the upcoming season—classes fill up fast. Visit the Massachusetts State Referee Committee’s Steps to Become a Referee page to get started!
If you are a returning referee, please visit the Referee Recertification page so you’ll be ready for the new season.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you’re interested in becoming a referee. We’d be happy to answer questions.
Certified and Ready for the Next Steps?
Email email@example.com to let us know you are certified and ready to start reffing games! We’ll need the following information to set you up as an HYSA referee:
- Name and address
- Cell phone number
- Date of birth
- Date you took the online class and passed the test
- USSF ID # (if received)
Ready to Buy a Referee Kit?
All referees will need to buy the basic referee kit, or uniform: a yellow shirt, black referee shorts, black socks with three stripes, and black cleats/sneakers. There are several places to purchase starter referee kits, including Amazon and Official Sports Inc.
You will also need a wrist stopwatch (not your smartphone), a Casio or Timex work best. You’ll need a loud whistle, a coin, red and yellow cards and a set of flags. The starter kit on Official Sports will have all items except the watch and coin.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a soccer referee! We look forward to working with you!
* To receive reimbursement, referees must work at least two games in the upcoming season.